Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Long Way Down the Road

Its been a while since I posted, but that doesn't mean I haven't been running!  It means I have been juggling a full time job, mommyhood, and the increasing miles of marathon training.  I am loving every minute!
 
Just a review of the last few weeks, I have hit almost every run except one weekend, a light weekend, that my leg wasn't feeling it.  So I went a few miles short.  I ran my longest run since December of 2008, 16 miles, and it felt awesome.  I actually cried a couple of times it was so amazing.
 
So...present day....this was a big week, lots of miles, long midweek run, and a big run today.  But first I want to set the stage, to try and give you a sense of why this marathon training and hopefully marathon on November 10th is such a big deal and what it feels like to me.
 
2.5 years ago I cried at the thought of having to get up and walk across our house (small house too) because it hurt so bad to move my leg.  2.5 years ago, I screamed in anger because I didn't even have a desire to take the BOB out, I put Will in the tiny Graco frame and cried at the pain of walking 20 feet around the cul-d-sac.  A week later I had surgery, my leg was stiff and it hurt to walk.  I cried some more.  At that point I was in a daze of anger and hurt, I wasn't even thinking about not running again, running seemed like such a crazy thing to even have a desire to do.
 
But then I began to wonder, would I ever run again, would I be able to run a 5K.  A marathon was not a consideration.  I had given up on trying.  Then I gradually checked off some miles, some small races, some short distances, still not thinking long because it was hard enough to move my numb leg 3 miles. 
 
Then February of 2012 came, yep 2 years later almost, and I signed up for a full marathon in November.  That same month I ran a half, it was great but I thought to myself, I still never foresee running that full, I will probably end up doing the half.
 
Training came in July, I started checking off the weeks one at a time.  Things were going well.  Today was going to be the big deal, 18 miles!  I knew if I could do it, I had great chances to attempt 26.2 in November.  So here is how today went down:
 
I rolled out of bed at 5:30 to meet my dad downtown Asheville at 6:30.  He took me through the hills of downtown and then we headed to the Asheville flat lands.  Weather was great, things were good.  At about mile 12 my mind began to get the best of me, I was having a hard time breathing, my leg hurt, it was huge, but I wasn't ready to quit.  By the grace of God I kept going.  I began to cry, my dream was coming closer.
 
I had a hill to climb at 16 to about the 18 mile mark.  It was rough, but every time I thought about what I was working for, I teared up.  The last 20 feet I began to cry again until I realized I couldn't cry and breath at one time:-)  I made it and there were mom and dad at the finish.  I am on my way to November 10th with one more long run!
 
Overall this was my thought today, I told myself this many times, "It isn't supposed to be easy anymore, because if it was easy, I would give myself the credit.  Since it is hard, I can only credit one person, and that is the Lord himself who has allowed me to make it so far from 2.5 years ago."
 
And a HUGE side note: my mom ran the longest run of her life today: 9 MILES GO MOM!
 
A scene from my midweek run:


No comments:

Post a Comment